Disclaimer: I do not yet own an FT-5 and believe the current design is functioning well for many. So please do not think poor of me.
That said, I am not a fan of the wood based parts used in the design and am thinking of how I would like to replace them. I see there are a number of options that have already been presented in the forum discussions, some very impressive. They include:
- The very cool work done by @713maker
@Walter has his printed parts and used stock aluminum to build parts.
- There are cast aluminum 2020 and 2040 corner brackets
- There are plate aluminum brackets that function like the melamine parts.
- I am sure I am missing some other options, please enlighten me.
At the moment I am thinking of using the below, and would welcome thoughts:
- Corner Brackets - 2040 cast aluminum where possible (yes I will verify they are 90 degree). I am doing this as I would like to put sides on the printer and think these will work great with an added magnet to hold the side panel material.
- M5 T Sliding Nut that will fill the full area of the 2020. They must be slid in at the top or bottom opening.
- Carriage & Gantry - I hope to use @713makers aluminum parts, again impressive.
- Base panel - Not sure what I will do there just yet. Maybe what @Walter did or some channel extruded aluminum to use as a hold down for the upcoming CNC option.
- Upper Supports - (hold the stepper motor and pulley) I am thinking of building them from aluminum and attach the lead screw and guiles (PCR) directly to the 2020. Others have done this and it looks to work well.
This brings me to the lower support that hold the base square and everything else. I could go the aluminum plate path, but was thinking of just using some 2020 like at the top where the guides (PCR) and leadscrew KFL8 attach. What do you think? Will the guides and leadscrew be to short after removing the top and bottom melamine parts? I will still need some aluminum to hold and adjust the stepper motors, but that will be small and not to bad to build.
Thoughts, what am I missing? Thanks!!