I began a print last night testing a bracket to mount the extruder above the X rail on my FT-5. Started out fine until...
Since it was late and I didn't feel like troubleshooting, I shut down for the night.
This morning tried it again after mucking around with settings and Z height.
Round two... FAIL
Then I noticed this
This reminded me about when I was messing around with fat nozzles during Dustin Corbin's Q&A. Think Volcano or Moarstruder only with an old nozzle and a drill bit.
I pulled the nozzle and after some digging found my drilled out nozzle and a replacement .4mm.
The one on the right is the one I drilled.
I found the piece in the print!
Installed the new one and extruded a bit to confirm proper operation.
This whole situation caught me by surprise. I'm not using any filled or specialty filament that should be abrasive. And the nozzle was new with less than 5 prints on it but oh well.
I hope this helps anyone with print issues. Abraded or worn nozzles will effect print quality and could be an issue if you're not looking for it. As for modding my old nozzle to 2mm. Bad idea. Might have worked better with 3mm filament. I figured it could work with the extrusion building up enough pressure in the hot end enough to melt the 1.75 as it worked. Probably needed to print even slower than I was but that was an excessive amount of filament. Too much of a waste and I was curious.
Until next time...
Go finish something.