I am continuing to make small put steady progress. I am trying to wrap up the parts creation aspect of the build, so I can get busy with the rest of the wiring, and finally testing and tuning.
I have experienced the Z-axis binding a number of others have discussed, and was able to mitigate it enough by loosening the upper supports.
I have similar concerns with the Y-axis linear rails, but will have to wait until I am able to do some testing before I know if they will be an issue. It is interesting, I think the cause may be due to the rigidity of the build and possibly untrue aluminum 2020 rails. As I am using 1/4in aluminum plates to attach the Y-axis 2020's to the rest of the frame, I believe the 2020's are deforming when the bolts are fully torqued. If I loosen some of the linear rail mounting bolts (to the 2020s) and the bolts that hold the 2020's to the 1/4in. support plates, I can get fairly free movement of the gantry. Once torqued, the gantry is stiff and flows unevenly on the rails. I anticipate having to shim the rails to achieve the desired result. For now, I am leaving them loose on one side.
Ok, to the fun part, more snaps:
First up is the controller interface. I mounted it in a nice stainless enclosure. It realy works well, and looks sharp with the rest of the aluminum build. To get the display properly mounted in the enclosure, you need to use some spacers. I found that the small plastic ones meant for building the Y-axis idler pulleys worked perfectly. I used some stock 2020 right angle mounting brackets to attach the unit to the frame. You can just make out the side of one on the left of the unit. Really makes for a clean and solid install.
Here is a wider view of the graphics display, as well as the e-stop mounted in its final home. The e-stop is now wired in series with the power relay controlling the primary 24v PSU.
This is a closeup of the Y-axis endstop. Its showing off its active state with that nice little read LED. I mounted it on the left side of the printer as I wanted room to move the Y-axis cable chain to the outer 2020 support on the right side (picture below). Thanks to @PaulS for that idea.
Here is a look at the X-Y-cable chain mounting plate I created. I originally planned on using the 713Maker version I purchased, but as I moved the Y-axis cable chain to the outer right 2020, it would no longer work for the design. It's not as elegant as the 713Maker design, but will hopefully do the job.
Now you get a full view of both the X and Y axis cable chains. I hope the cable routing will not be an issue, given the layout of the exit and entry points on the X-Y-cable chain mounting plate. I will probably have to loop the cables up and around.
This is a realy bad picture of the heated bed configuration I went with. As discussed in other threads, I opted for a design I found on Youtube. The silicone mat is mounted on three cork mats, properly configured (cut) to allow the cables on the bottom of the mat to lie flat. The mirror tile just sites on top of the mat. There is no aluminum plate between the mat and glass. My only concern is with the uniformity of heat as there is nothing but the mat and glass to distribute it. If anyone has a thermal imaging camera that they wouldn't mind lending out, I can report back with some images.
Here is an underside view of one of the Y-axis stepper motor mounting plate. As described above, it is designed to allow about 5mm of slide (front to back of printer) for tensioning the belt.