Ok, couldn't stand waiting for parts to come in. Especially, when they may not help and I wanted to print some stuff this weekend. So I took the stock linear rails/bearings off.
When you turn the rail upside down you gain some access to the ball bearings.
At this point I put some gear oil on in the crevice and worked the carriage back and forth. Rinse/repeat
You can see on the napkin the rust I was talking about. (the gear oil is a honey color, not dark brown)
The bearings were starved for lubrication (I'm guessing the race in the carriage block was emitting the rust). When I first took them off and began inspecting them, often the balls on one side would not even recirculate when sliding the carriage.
So, it's been working most of the weekend now, not sure how long they will hold up
Hmm, these image uploads don't seem to work well. Edit: PNG's under 2meg seem to work