First I want to thank you for the time you spent responding to my plea. I realized that the Marlin rev is shown on the FT-5 display. It is 1.1.2.
Just to keep you updated, The display problem showing two rows of "f'"s was because I changed the SERIAL_PORT from 0 to 2. Leaving it at zero fixed the problem.
The Bltouch is mounted and connected. I've updated the firmware pretty much per the Bltouch manual. Using Repetier-Host, sending M280 P0 S10 does push the pin down, sending M280 P0 S90 retracts the pin. Progress! Now to calibrate.
Unless you are interested, I won't trouble you with my efforts. Thanks again.